We’ve just passed the halfway mark for the Ability Radio Project. Seven weeks to go for our first semester pilot!
What we’ve achieved:
- as a group, we’ve become valued and involved group members;
- we’ve all had a go using recording equipment and practicing microphone technique;
- we continue to practice interviewing techniques every week;
- we’ve been sharing our musical tastes via weekly YouTube sessions before group;
- we’ve learnt about what Community Radio is and how it’s different from commercial radio;
- we’ve discussed the rules for broadcasting, what they mean and whether we agree with them;
- we’ve had tour of the 4ZZZ studios with Station Manager Michelle Brown and a guest stint on Radio Reversal;
- we have been visited by Bernadette Young (ABC612 radio) and Alicia “Friday” Wright (ABC612’s community correspondent);
- we’ve discussed many interesting subjects including: what community means, what communities we are part of, what our experience of living in our community is, what our experiences of school were and what we’ve learnt, and many specific interests: Owls, the Beach boys, Alice cooper, Metal and Parkway Drive, our music collections, things we like to do, and many other surprises you’ll hear about in our final productions;
- eaten SO much cake! (Thank you Espresso Train);
- a $500 grant from the Brisbane City Council Central ward’s Vicky Howard for recording equipment;
- selection for the 2015 Community Broadcasting Association and Community Radio Network’s Segments series (with a $500 prize on delivery) which will see our productions broadcast nationally.
What’s coming up:
- upcoming special guests include:
- Leona Berrie (Manager, WWILD),
- Maurice O’Connor (Coordinator, CLA),
- Emma Augustino (Making Airwaves, 2SER/EastsideFM);
- Alex Oliver (technician and radio personality, 4ZZZ/4EB),
- and some surprises!
- visiting the ABC studios with Breakfast show producer Bernadette Young;
- learning about editing, choosing music and making the final production;
- screen printing our own t-shirts;
- making our 10 episodes for the Community Radio Network;
- celebration week (keep an eye out for your invite!);
- confirming dates and times for our second semester group (starting in late July).
Thanks to Kirsty and Georgia for their practical assistance in group. And the many support workers who’ve joined in with enthusiasm.
Thanks to my fellow Coordinator Ben Stimpson who does a great job facilitating and supporting our members.
Our members are having such a great time and developing their communication skills. Some already want to come back to mentor our next group!
Please forwards this update to any organisations you think might have members interested in joining our group.
The response so far has been great and if we get enough interest next time we will consider running two groups.
Thank you all so much for your ongoing support.
Coordinator, Ability Radio Project
PS. As we are fully run by volunteers and still looking for funding, any leads, offers or donations are gratefully received!
Check out our website for our weekly news and audio teasers: https://abilityradioproject.wordpress.com/
And like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AbilityRadioProject
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/abilityradiopro
Our supporting organisations: